Centre for Urbanization, Buildings & Environment (CUBE) has been raised by IIT Madras and Government of Tamil Nadu as an Applied Research, Technology and Consultancy Centre. The ideology behind raising of CUBE as one of IIT Madras’ outfits with support from the Tamil Nadu Government is to bring together the research & technological strengths of academia, facilitation & support from the Government, practical & innovative approach of the private sector and functional independence & administrative prowess to act as an enabler to tackle any multifaceted challenges facing the built environment.
Established in May 2017 as a Centre of Excellence of Government of Tamil Nadu in collaboration with IIT Madras, CUBE was brought up with seeding fund contributions from CMDA, TNHB, TNPCB and MAWS. CUBE is registered as a Society under Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act, 1975 with its Governing Body headed by the Director, IITM and comprising of nominees from four Tamil Nadu State Government departments namely MAWS, Finance, Housing & Urban Development & TNPCB, four members from IITM Faculty and four members from prominent Industries and organizations.
CUBE extends its services under four verticals, namely, Building & Construction, Environment & Sustainability, Smart Cities and Urban Planning & Transportation. Within a short span of establishment, the Centre has blossomed into a reputed Applied Engineering, Technology and Consultancy Centre, taking on challenging assignments and stamping its presence effectively in the ecosystem, not only in Tamil Nadu but elsewhere as well, as a trusted solution provider. CUBE has also established its state of art Environment Laboratory (CEL) co located with the office, providing testing and analytical services for Water, Waste Water and Solid Waste.
CUBEʼs inherent strength is its capability to offer tailor made solutions in close participation with IIT Madras, industry experts & consultants, converge ideas in to actionable formats, create efficient delivery mechanisms, and act as a force multiplier to deliver effective, practical and seamless solutions to complex challenges of various multidisciplinary concerns in the urban development and built environment domains.
- Assessment Reportsfor 10Heritage Buildings in Chennai Metropolitan Area for CMDA have been prepared and accepted as model documentation
- CUBE’s Annual General Meeting has been planned in October 2019
- Cost effective precast toilets are being constructed at a rapid pace in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative.
- Constructed Wetland Water Treatment systems are planned for the treatment of Grey and Black Water in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- CUBE is conducting a Workshop on Optimization of Elevated Structures of Metro Projects to be attended by Shri Durga Shankar Mishra, Hon. Secretary MoUHD, GoI on September 27th 2019.
- Q SCAN – CUBE’s Web & Mobile Based Application Launched to Facilitate Real Time Reporting and Ensure Quality for Third Party Quality and Quality Control Services at Amravati Green City
- The precast toilets constructed as part of the CPCL CSR initiative received deep appreciation from Nagappatinam District Officials and are being studied as a replicative model to be applied in other villages.
- In the concluding session of Lean Construction Training program, the participants presented their learnings. L&T MMRC, Afcons Metro – Gujrat, L&T Barrackpore were awarded the first, second and third prizes respectively.
- Eleven ponds in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative, are being rehabilitated by cleaning and desilting, pitching of pond bunds and phyto-stabilization of pond surface using Vetiver and jute mats to ensure ground water recharge.
- The pioneering pilot study of Air Quality at granular level, conducted by CUBE to ascertain the impact of urban dynamics on Air Quality is complete. Very interesting correlations and inferences has been derived.
- The initial phase of distress mapping at Arulmigu Nellaiappar Temple Complex at Tirunelveli has been concluded and key observations have been submitted to the relevant authorities for further action.
- CUBE Environment Laboratory (CEL) has begun operations and is handling the Water, Waste Water & Solid Waste Testing works. CEL is soon going to be accredited under ISO IMS (9001, 14001 & 45001).
- Completed the Assessment of Residual Life of Pavement for More than 320 kms of Road Sections on NH 44 and NH 38 for NHAI
- Inauguration of Prototype Toilet Built Using Precast Technology Held at Nagapattinam by Officials from CPCL for the Village Adoption CSR Project of CPCL.
- Technical Audit and Random Quality Check of over 377 kms of Road Length for Tamil Nadu Highways Department has commenced
- Perennial source of water Supply has been identified and assured for the benefit of Villagers of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- Adequacy Audit for CII Member Industries are under way. Report is well received at Godrej Consumer Products Limited, Gwalior
- Electrocoagulation Pilot Plant is being tested with respect to its performance for various categories of Effluents.
- CUBE showcased the implementation of CPCL’s CSR initiative, Village Development Project of Nagapattinam District “CPCL CSR & Vision for Development" in at Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises Technology Conclave & Exhibition convened on September 15 and 16, 2019 in the IIT Madras Research Park.
- CUBE is associating with IIT Madras to carry out technical studies for River Training works at Alakukdi, Tamil Nadu for the Public Works Department