(Major General [Retired])
Cities today face unique and varying challenges as they strive to strike a balance between climate change and sustainability issues, social and economic impacts of the rapid urbanization and most of all the rapidly changing technologies and advancements. Whereas it is important to put all these issues at the forefront of urban development, a major concern is to attain balance amongst them. This is no mean feat.
It is indeed imperative that all issues that face the urban development today must get addressed in an environment that concerns itself with all or most aspects of urbanization through a multidisciplinary approach. CUBE being an Applied Research and Consultancy Center, aims to address these challenges through the development and deployment of innovative technologies and policy-based solutions in partnership with Academia, Government and the Private Sector by employing a multidimensional outlook.
CUBE is ideally placed to develop quality and viable tailor-made solutions for industry, government and civil society in the domain of sustainable urban development by enabling collaborative and effective partnerships between the academia at both national and international levels, practitioners, private sector and policymakers. With the objective of developing practical solutions that can keep pace with the ever-metamorphosing built environment, CUBE’s goal is to act as a force multiplier to promote comprehensive and well-rounded approach to the many complex problems confronted by Indian cities today.
CUBE was incorporated in May 2017 as a joint initiative of Government of Tamil Nadu [GoTN] and IIT Madras. GoTN Nadu has declared CUBE as one of its Centers of Excellence. This places a significant responsibility on CUBE to strive to achieve excellence in everything that it shoulders.
In a short span of its operations, CUBE has established itself as a trusted partner to its Clients and a facilitator in the domain of urbanization. We have undertaken several challenging initiatives not only with GoTN, but also with Governments of Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Daman & Diu and Jammu & Kashmir. We aspire to be the one stop solution provider which can be completely depended upon to source and deliver everything that is required to make each of the endeavors under our purview, perform seamlessly and effectively.
- CUBE pledges Rs. 3 L to PM CARES fund to support India’s fight against COVID 19 pandemic. The virus continues to take its toll on communities. Do your bit, stop the spread.
- CUBEians Contributed a part of their salaries to the PM CARES fund to help India’s fight against the COVID-19 Pandemic. A collection of Rs. 56, 765 was made through individual contributions!!
- Assessment Reportsfor 10Heritage Buildings in Chennai Metropolitan Area for CMDA have been prepared and accepted as model documentation
- CUBE’s Annual General Meeting has been planned in October 2019
- Cost effective precast toilets are being constructed at a rapid pace in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative.
- Constructed Wetland Water Treatment systems are planned for the treatment of Grey and Black Water in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- CUBE is conducting a Workshop on Optimization of Elevated Structures of Metro Projects to be attended by Shri Durga Shankar Mishra, Hon. Secretary MoUHD, GoI on September 27th 2019.
- Q SCAN – CUBE’s Web & Mobile Based Application Launched to Facilitate Real Time Reporting and Ensure Quality for Third Party Quality and Quality Control Services at Amravati Green City
- The precast toilets constructed as part of the CPCL CSR initiative received deep appreciation from Nagappatinam District Officials and are being studied as a replicative model to be applied in other villages.
- In the concluding session of Lean Construction Training program, the participants presented their learnings. L&T MMRC, Afcons Metro – Gujrat, L&T Barrackpore were awarded the first, second and third prizes respectively.
- Eleven ponds in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative, are being rehabilitated by cleaning and desilting, pitching of pond bunds and phyto-stabilization of pond surface using Vetiver and jute mats to ensure ground water recharge.
- The pioneering pilot study of Air Quality at granular level, conducted by CUBE to ascertain the impact of urban dynamics on Air Quality is complete. Very interesting correlations and inferences has been derived.
- The initial phase of distress mapping at Arulmigu Nellaiappar Temple Complex at Tirunelveli has been concluded and key observations have been submitted to the relevant authorities for further action.
- CUBE Environment Laboratory (CEL) has begun operations and is handling the Water, Waste Water & Solid Waste Testing works. CEL is soon going to be accredited under ISO IMS (9001, 14001 & 45001).
- Completed the Assessment of Residual Life of Pavement for More than 320 kms of Road Sections on NH 44 and NH 38 for NHAI
- Inauguration of Prototype Toilet Built Using Precast Technology Held at Nagapattinam by Officials from CPCL for the Village Adoption CSR Project of CPCL.
- Technical Audit and Random Quality Check of over 377 kms of Road Length for Tamil Nadu Highways Department has commenced
- Perennial source of water Supply has been identified and assured for the benefit of Villagers of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- Adequacy Audit for CII Member Industries are under way. Report is well received at Godrej Consumer Products Limited, Gwalior
- Electrocoagulation Pilot Plant is being tested with respect to its performance for various categories of Effluents.
- CUBE showcased the implementation of CPCL’s CSR initiative, Village Development Project of Nagapattinam District “CPCL CSR & Vision for Development" in at Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises Technology Conclave & Exhibition convened on September 15 and 16, 2019 in the IIT Madras Research Park.
- CUBE is associating with IIT Madras to carry out technical studies for River Training works at Alakukdi, Tamil Nadu for the Public Works Department