Prof. V Kamakoti
Director, IIT Madras
In search of an ideal city
India’s great cities, and several tens of big cities in the making, did not grow organically along with their counterparts in other parts of the world. They grew frenetically, and are still growing, somewhat later than the rest, and in an era circumscribed by concerns about global warming and sustainability. The tension between resource scarcity, inorganic growth, and environmental concerns has to be managed if we are to land on our feet at the end of this growth phase. Technologies that mediate the trade-offs and produce desirable outcomes are key to managing the transition to healthy livable cities.
Keeping this in mind, a Center for Excellence was conceived by IIT Madras to work towards achieving an ideal habitat in our cities, keeping the core values of the historical development of our cities in mind and bringing to bear the rapid technological changes that are taking place in these times. The Centre takes a holistic and multidisciplinary approach to resolving the many complex and diverse problems that human settlements face, be they environmental, social or technological. Today, the fledgling Centre is operational and is striving hard to build a strong foundation to emerge as the go-to place for sustainable and cost-effective technologies that address key urban challenges.
- CUBE pledges Rs. 3 L to PM CARES fund to support India’s fight against COVID 19 pandemic. The virus continues to take its toll on communities. Do your bit, stop the spread.
- CUBEians Contributed a part of their salaries to the PM CARES fund to help India’s fight against the COVID-19 Pandemic. A collection of Rs. 56, 765 was made through individual contributions!!
- Assessment Reportsfor 10Heritage Buildings in Chennai Metropolitan Area for CMDA have been prepared and accepted as model documentation
- CUBE’s Annual General Meeting has been planned in October 2019
- Cost effective precast toilets are being constructed at a rapid pace in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative.
- Constructed Wetland Water Treatment systems are planned for the treatment of Grey and Black Water in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- CUBE is conducting a Workshop on Optimization of Elevated Structures of Metro Projects to be attended by Shri Durga Shankar Mishra, Hon. Secretary MoUHD, GoI on September 27th 2019.
- Q SCAN – CUBE’s Web & Mobile Based Application Launched to Facilitate Real Time Reporting and Ensure Quality for Third Party Quality and Quality Control Services at Amravati Green City
- The precast toilets constructed as part of the CPCL CSR initiative received deep appreciation from Nagappatinam District Officials and are being studied as a replicative model to be applied in other villages.
- In the concluding session of Lean Construction Training program, the participants presented their learnings. L&T MMRC, Afcons Metro – Gujrat, L&T Barrackpore were awarded the first, second and third prizes respectively.
- Eleven ponds in the villages of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative, are being rehabilitated by cleaning and desilting, pitching of pond bunds and phyto-stabilization of pond surface using Vetiver and jute mats to ensure ground water recharge.
- The pioneering pilot study of Air Quality at granular level, conducted by CUBE to ascertain the impact of urban dynamics on Air Quality is complete. Very interesting correlations and inferences has been derived.
- The initial phase of distress mapping at Arulmigu Nellaiappar Temple Complex at Tirunelveli has been concluded and key observations have been submitted to the relevant authorities for further action.
- CUBE Environment Laboratory (CEL) has begun operations and is handling the Water, Waste Water & Solid Waste Testing works. CEL is soon going to be accredited under ISO IMS (9001, 14001 & 45001).
- Completed the Assessment of Residual Life of Pavement for More than 320 kms of Road Sections on NH 44 and NH 38 for NHAI
- Inauguration of Prototype Toilet Built Using Precast Technology Held at Nagapattinam by Officials from CPCL for the Village Adoption CSR Project of CPCL.
- Technical Audit and Random Quality Check of over 377 kms of Road Length for Tamil Nadu Highways Department has commenced
- Perennial source of water Supply has been identified and assured for the benefit of Villagers of Panangudi, Gopurajapuram and Vellapakkam under the CPCL, CSR initiative
- Adequacy Audit for CII Member Industries are under way. Report is well received at Godrej Consumer Products Limited, Gwalior
- Electrocoagulation Pilot Plant is being tested with respect to its performance for various categories of Effluents.
- CUBE showcased the implementation of CPCL’s CSR initiative, Village Development Project of Nagapattinam District “CPCL CSR & Vision for Development" in at Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises Technology Conclave & Exhibition convened on September 15 and 16, 2019 in the IIT Madras Research Park.
- CUBE is associating with IIT Madras to carry out technical studies for River Training works at Alakukdi, Tamil Nadu for the Public Works Department